My Observations on Chennai Rains
- Technically 10cm in 45 minute rain is very rare occurrence which happened Yesterday in Chennai
- Last week Rain almost shown the Poor Urban planning and Power of Mother Nature
- Most of the Buildings / Houses in New Urban areas were built on Ancient Pond, Lake or River Bank which caused more damages to Regular Life
- Most of existing Lake, Pond, Rivers are running fully and excess water is been released which is another issue on Land encroached areas.
- Greedy Realtors did not build the house based on IS standards or National Building Code of India
- Due to Metro and Other Major Infrastructure Projects joined the turmoil of Commuters along with Rain
- Corporation facilitating the Roads for each part of City But it impacts the Total level of the Street and many of Old houses already 2 to 3 feet below the newly constructed Road
- Most of Old Houses are with Garden which are seriously affected because Land is not able to take that much downpour in short time
- Houses with Well are another soft target because the Water level raised almost 95% of well which is equivalent to ground level. So Poor flooring leads to small water spring across houses
- Most of the Apartment Lifts are starting from Ground Floor; Hence Lifts are not operational which affected mainly Elders, Kids and Ladies. Because climbing more than 2 times of 10-15-20 floors to reach home is challenging task and sometimes impossible
- Most of the New Urban areas are submerged under water stagnation almost upto Hip Level which has no space for draining due to No drainage system.
- Millipede, Centipede, Insects and other living things became immigrants to the Houses and it became many allergy, serious injury, sick….etc
- Open Potholes, Unclosed Borewell, Construction site without Signboard were potential dangerous places
- Availability of Medicine, Food and Milk became changeable and most of the Rain affected area people were moved to Government Camps
- Media People help on propagating the Rain impacts and Holiday announcement were Fast and Crisp. But Media lags to share Hot line number if water entry to House, Insects entry, Nearest Camps, Food Availability, Traffic Update and Emergency Number. Media is using Rain Damage as Political Weapon for forthcoming election. It shows the state of our Media and People Interest.
- Septic Tank Cleaning service inflated their price and most of Stagnated water is finding way Entry to Septic Tank. From Rs 700 to Rs 1000.
- Vegetables prices are touching skies and Tomato is selling 60-120 per Kilo gram based on Rain and Transportation. Online Portals such as Grofers, Peppertap, Big Basket are sometimes reasonable than nearest kirana shops
- Local Train Services and Inter State train Services are affected heavily. Many Trains are cancelled / Postponed. For the Safety of Peoples, It is mandatory. But we need to improve the Station Amenities in case of worst case scenario like these.
- Most of Army, CISF,NGO, Individuals, Political Parties joined along with Govt for Rescue Operation
- Mosquitos became very happy for most of water stagnation and we became victim for that.
- It is Big Lesson for the State to handle next Worst case Scenario
PS: In thiru Kanitha Panjangam, it is clearly mentioned that This year (Manmatha Varusam) is with Big Rains and Floods.
PS: PS: it is my persona opinion and i want to record in blog.So i can see in future about what happened. it is not for discriminating others.
Few Pictures (from Other website and my House)
|Water from Chembarambakkam Lake in full flow at the Adyar River, near Saidapet. Photo: K. Pichumani
Courtesy: the Hindu